Logo

DOSarrest Vulnerability Testing and Optimization
Navigation
  • Home

Man charged in federal court for DDoS attack on Akron Police Department

on May 10, 2018 |
DDoS DDoS Attack Specialist DDoS Defense Defend Against DDoS Denial of Service Attack DoS Attacks Stop DDoS Stop DDoS Attacks

An Akron man is facing federal charges after he was arrested Thursday morning for allegedly hacking the city of Akron and Akron Police Department websites last year.

According to an FBI spokesperson, 32-year-old James Robinson was charged with knowingly causing the transmission of a program, information, code and command, and intentionally causing damage to a protected computer.

Authorities say Robinson carried out the cyber attacks on Aug. 1, 2017. The distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack overwhelmed both websites and took them down for a period of time.

On the day of the attack, a Twitter user named @AkronPhoenix420 tweeted a link to a YouTube video claiming credit for taking the websites out of service. The tweets included the hashtags #Anonymous and #TangoDown, authorities said.

The video showed a person in a Guy Fawkes mask and the statements “it’s time to teach the law a lesson,” and “Akron PD abuses the law.” The video also stated, “this week the city of Akron experienced system failures on multiple domains including their emergency TCP ports.”

Evidence linked the attack’s point of origin to an internet connection registered to Robinson. Additional evidence showed his phone was associated with the @AkronPhoenix420 Twitter account, police said.

The same Twitter account also claimed responsibility for numerous other DDoS attacks targeted at the Ohio Department of Public Safety, Department of Defense, and others. Police said the characteristics of those attacks had similarities with the one carried out in Akron.

Police executed a search warrant on Robinson’s home on May 9. Inside, they found a Guy Fawkes mask and a cell phone with a cracked screen that was seen in the video. Authorities said Robinson told them he was responsible for the Akron cyber attack as well as the DDoS attacks against the Department of Defense.

Source: https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/akron-canton-news/man-charged-in-federal-court-for-ddos-attack-on-akron-police-department

Share this story:
  • tweet

Recent Posts

  • Link11 Discovers Record Number of DDoS Attacks in First Half of 2021

    July 15, 2021 - 0 Comment
  • A New Wave of DDoS Extortion Campaigns by Fancy Lazarus

    June 16, 2021 - 0 Comment
  • ‘Fancy Lazarus’ Cyberattackers Ramp up Ransom DDoS Efforts

    June 12, 2021 - 0 Comment
Comments are closed.
DOSarrest ad

Keep updated with the latest DDoS Attacks

RSSSubscribe
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • Contact
  • Sitemap
© Copyright 2013. All Rights Reserved. Web Development by: 6folds Marketing